Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Old Wives Tales - Finding out Sweet Pea's Sex

Since we are waiting until we meet Sweet Pea to find out if it's a boy or a girl, I plan on having fun with all of the fun old wives tales. It will be interesting to see what the results are, and how accurate they are. There is a 50/50 chance! I am also debating on doing the highly made fun of Intelligender test, since it will just be for fun. (I am still trying to decide if it is really worth the money for a moment of "fun")

The Heartbeat -
One belief that has been around for some time, and even had some acceptance in the medical community at one point, is that the fetal heartbeat differs for boys and girls. If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140. However, science has proven this to be wrong. A baby's heart rate is not affected by its sex until it is born, when a girl's heart rate will increase considerably compared with boys during labor. But since we are just having fun.... Both Sweet Pea and Peanut's first heartbeats were 160, so according to this.... It's a Girl!

Do I Carry High or Low?
The way you are carrying during your pregnancy is one of the most often cited ways of determining the sex of baby. I have actually had people argue with me when I was pregnant with Peanut over this one. I was carrying low and everyone and their brother told me I was having a boy and when I corrected them they told me I must be mistaken! The general story goes that, if you're carrying low, you're having a boy. If you are carrying high, then you must be having a girl. Science says "NO!" to this: the way you carry is determined by muscle and uterine tone as well as the position of your baby. But who's to say that boys don't like being lower in their mom's stomach while girls prefer a view from the top? We are just having fun here.... It's a ?  
*I can't decide if I am high or low, please feel free to take a look at my bump pics and I will update accordingly. 

Sweet Cravings -
Many people believe that your cravings are caused by the sex of your baby. So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist. With Peanut the thought of anything remotely sweet completely repulsed me. With Sweet Pea I can't get enough Cookies, Chocolate, and Ice Cream.... It's A Girl!

Morning Sickness - 
Another belief is that if you are having a lot of morning sickness you are carrying a girl. If you are feeling well and not having a lot of that dreaded sickness than it's a boy. I had a little so... It's a Boy!
The Needle Trick - 
 another unusual using a needle and a thread. Take a needle and tie it to a thread. Hold it over your belly while you are lying down. If the needle  swings in a circular motion, then you are having a girl. If it moves back and forth, then are you having a boy. I tried this and it moved back and forth so... It's a boy!

The Chinese Gender Chart - 
This one is kind of interesting. It calculates the gender based off of your age and month of conception. Here is a link to the chart I used. I am 22 and my estimated conception was at the end of October so.... It's a girl!

So I have two girl results, two boy results, and one that I will update after I figure out how I am carrying. Of course we will finally know once July comes and we finally meet our Sweet Pea.

1 comment: